One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Come to grief or fail spectacularly.‘I've seen guests crash and burn on the show’
- ‘Just as often, public careers can crash and burn.’
- ‘When people realize that they can lose their social security money in the stock market, this plan will crash and burn.’
- ‘Was my grand plan going to crash and burn before the first-period bell had even rung?’
- ‘But high-powered competition in the online auto field has already caused some firms to crash and burn over the last few months.’
- ‘And of course, it had to crash and burn because the critics didn't fawn.’
- ‘What if I crash and burn, like so many other American tourists?’
- ‘Though I've seen plenty of female juvenile players pass into adulthood without serious damage, I've also seen way too many crash and burn on the threshold of maturity.’
- ‘That means at some stage I'm going to crash and burn, because I really don't see it as risky.’
- ‘And although I have plenty of faith in my son's ability on his chosen instrument, I felt without the time and effort put in, he'd possibly crash and burn.’
- ‘She's a single mom, a child star who didn't crash and burn, and a two-time Oscar winner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.