Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A case or covering enclosing a crankshaft.
- ‘Unlike four-stroke engines, there's a power stroke with every rotation of the crankcase.’
- ‘Just as the letter W is two Vs joined together, the W8 is like two V - 4 engines joined at their crankcases.’
- ‘Controlling the oil in the crankcase significantly reduces ring tension to unlock even more power by minimizing friction.’
- ‘It went off like a grenade inside, the crank, the crankcase, barrels and pistons are all just scrap metal.’
- ‘The crankcase was ribbed for strength while the crankshaft was carried on five main hearings.’
- ‘‘If we're successful, it could basically sit in the crankcase of a diesel V8 with the same output,’ says van der Broek.’
- ‘The crankcase, on the other hand, sits in a bath of water and polyethylene glycol.’
- ‘The last place you need your oil is splattered up the inside of the crankcase!’
- ‘The shunt left the car with damaged suspension, bodywork and even broke the crankcase in the backwards impact.’
- ‘Then that mixture of gasoline and oil would seep down into the crankcase, diluting the engine oil even further.’
- ‘There are oil passages on the outside of the crankcase to reduce the chance of oil leaks.’
- ‘Weight concerns mandated that the cylinder heads and crankcase are both made of cast aluminum.’
- ‘The crankcase is also formed by a one-piece core, assuring uniformity.’
- ‘To minimize hydraulic losses, it is connected to the crankcase by a series of windows and oil strainers.’
- ‘Other nasties, such as lead and acid, also live in your crankcase.’
- ‘The slower speeds were a result of the races being flown with a cracked crankcase.’
- ‘Imagine your car didn't come with instructions telling you to fill the crankcase with oil of a particular viscosity.’
- ‘Well, imagine draining all the oil from your crankcase, and then trying to drive across town - doing 80 mph on the freeway.’
- ‘With a rotary engine, the crankshaft is fixed, while the cylinders, crankcase and all the other bits rotate around it.’
- ‘Some of that fuel would inevitably seep down into the crankcase and dilute your oil.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.