One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Prevent a person from acting freely or naturally.‘he's not putting any pressure on me that would cramp my style’
restrict, restrain, limit, constrain, confine, crampView synonyms
- ‘The truth has not cramped their style in the past and is unlikely to do so during the current confirmation hearings.’
- ‘I prefer action stories; dull conferences can cramp my style.’
- ‘People stand on your toes, nudge towards the front and just cramp your style underneath the arches.’
- ‘The peg did not appear to have cramped his style on the dance floor, or with the ladies.’
- ‘He's also partially-sighted, but hasn't let that cramp his style.’
- ‘At least we know this parenthood gig isn't going to cramp our style.’
- ‘A coalition government and a secular constitution have cramped their style.’
- ‘He said it cramps his style of getting really big bucks from Fat Cats.’
- ‘Never, ever go clubbing with friends: they'll only cramp your style.’
- ‘I got sick during the world champs which cramped my style, but I didn't shame myself.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.