Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An association of workers of the same trade for mutual benefit.
- ‘Unlike the American Academy, the National Academy was organized as a craft guild run by and for its members.’
- ‘You manage your infrastructure like a modern factory, in other words, rather than an ancient craft guild.’
- ‘The skilled trades were dominated by craft guilds which imposed strict limitations on entry in order to guarantee their market.’
- ‘Products of the craft guilds, and expertise of same, are also valued in the markets of the world.’
- ‘The urban craft guilds and lay confraternities were finally abolished.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.