Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
cradle song, soothing song, gentle song, quiet songView synonyms
- ‘The state of Bengal during the 18th century has nowhere been so vividly pictured as it has in that famous Bengali cradle song.’
- ‘‘We included cradle songs which imitated rocking-chair rhythms,’ says Montemurro.’
- ‘Then, at last, quite recently, I got it: a man told me that is definitely an old Basque cradle song.’
- ‘The cradle songs are a perfect illustration of Isokoski's approach: simple, direct, and deeply moving.’
- ‘Similarly, the Berceuse gains much from being played simply - as a cradle song.’
- ‘Not only does he ‘love the cradle songs the mothers sing’, he has composed one.’
- ‘The European cradle song tries only to put the child to sleep.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.