One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make jokes.‘this struck them as funny, although nobody used it as a moment to crack wise at my expense’
- ‘The perfect Buffy, she manages to be the strong hero always cracking wise but never forgetting that she is a 16-year-old girl.’
- ‘The international news is so unrelentingly grim I don't feel like cracking wise about the situation.’
- ‘You were always one to crack wise, my friend.’
- ‘He cracks wise but can't hide the grimace each taste brings.’
- ‘You might call McNealy's approach ‘marketing by cracking wise.’’
- ‘But the freedom to live involved more than cracking wise.’
- ‘She was funny, without mugging or cracking wise.’
- ‘These are hard drinking, fun having guys and they crack wise and obnoxious throughout - just like any athlete.’
- ‘Roz is truly one of those rare people who can crack wise and get away with it.’
- ‘‘You know people can't hear you when you nod on the phone,’ Eric said, cracking wise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.