One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make jokes.‘this struck them as funny, although nobody used it as a moment to crack wise at my expense’
- ‘But the freedom to live involved more than cracking wise.’
- ‘Roz is truly one of those rare people who can crack wise and get away with it.’
- ‘He cracks wise but can't hide the grimace each taste brings.’
- ‘The international news is so unrelentingly grim I don't feel like cracking wise about the situation.’
- ‘She was funny, without mugging or cracking wise.’
- ‘These are hard drinking, fun having guys and they crack wise and obnoxious throughout - just like any athlete.’
- ‘The perfect Buffy, she manages to be the strong hero always cracking wise but never forgetting that she is a 16-year-old girl.’
- ‘‘You know people can't hear you when you nod on the phone,’ Eric said, cracking wise.’
- ‘You might call McNealy's approach ‘marketing by cracking wise.’’
- ‘You were always one to crack wise, my friend.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.