Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make jokes.‘this struck them as funny, although nobody used it as a moment to crack wise at my expense’
- ‘The international news is so unrelentingly grim I don't feel like cracking wise about the situation.’
- ‘She was funny, without mugging or cracking wise.’
- ‘You were always one to crack wise, my friend.’
- ‘But the freedom to live involved more than cracking wise.’
- ‘He cracks wise but can't hide the grimace each taste brings.’
- ‘‘You know people can't hear you when you nod on the phone,’ Eric said, cracking wise.’
- ‘You might call McNealy's approach ‘marketing by cracking wise.’’
- ‘These are hard drinking, fun having guys and they crack wise and obnoxious throughout - just like any athlete.’
- ‘The perfect Buffy, she manages to be the strong hero always cracking wise but never forgetting that she is a 16-year-old girl.’
- ‘Roz is truly one of those rare people who can crack wise and get away with it.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.