One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adverb & adjective
(of movement) sideways, typically in an awkward way.as adverb ‘supermarket trolleys that only go crabwise’as adjective ‘crabwise steps’
to the side, laterally, crabwiseView synonyms
- ‘Maybe some of them are trying to edge crabwise towards that end.’
- ‘I manage to keep it in a straight line even though I swear I was going crabwise a while.’
- ‘She has now learned to move, crabwise, the length of the sofa.’
- ‘The ferryman just angled a rudderlike thing against the current and the barge began scooting crabwise across the river.’
- ‘While he sees the FTSE and Dow Jones industrial average rising this year, the Nasdaq is set to head crabwise for perhaps eight years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.