Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounNorth American
A creeping grass that can become a serious weed.
- ‘Yellow foxtail and crabgrass should be treated prior to tiller initiation for best results.’
- ‘I do not want to have to deal with weeds and crabgrass at the same time.’
- ‘I've got two acres here in Florida infested with crabgrass.’
- ‘By allowing grass blades to shade the ground, you prevent crabgrass from sprouting.’
- ‘To control crabgrass and dandelions before they sprout, apply a preemergence herbicide.’
- ‘If crabgrass and dandelions are a problem, try a herbicidal soap.’
- ‘There wasn't a bit of crabgrass anywhere, thanks to his careful tending.’
- ‘It is especially effective on crabgrass, goosegrass, and chickweed.’
- ‘In order to control crabgrass you must use a pre-emergent herbicide that will prevent the crabgrass seeds from germinating.’
- ‘One unique tel sequence was found in sorghum, hairy crabgrass, barley, rye, and pearl millet, as was found in rice.’
- ‘The same goes for common garden weeds like crabgrass and common purslane.’
- ‘It will also suppress growth of bahiagrass, dallisgrass, torpedograss and crabgrass.’
- ‘If you don't like having dandelions and crabgrass in your lawn, then dig them out.’
- ‘It is for control of black nightshade, pigweed, waterhemp, foxtail and crabgrass.’
- ‘Orchardgrass and clover, Matua bromegrass, crabgrass, cereal rye, and alfalfa have also been used.’
- ‘How many times have you missed a duck because you were wondering whether you were standing in crabgrass or sawgrass?’
- ‘The existing crabgrass responds well to being pulled.’
- ‘All summer we fight Bermuda grass, nut grass, crabgrass, goosegrass, Dallis grass, spurge, pigweed and others.’
- ‘I carefully fed and nurtured what I thought where newly germinated flower seeds, only to discover that it was all crabgrass.’
- ‘So if you're building distributed networks, learn from crabgrass.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.