Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A creeping grass that can become a serious weed.
- ‘So if you're building distributed networks, learn from crabgrass.’
- ‘I carefully fed and nurtured what I thought where newly germinated flower seeds, only to discover that it was all crabgrass.’
- ‘To control crabgrass and dandelions before they sprout, apply a preemergence herbicide.’
- ‘It will also suppress growth of bahiagrass, dallisgrass, torpedograss and crabgrass.’
- ‘I do not want to have to deal with weeds and crabgrass at the same time.’
- ‘It is especially effective on crabgrass, goosegrass, and chickweed.’
- ‘In order to control crabgrass you must use a pre-emergent herbicide that will prevent the crabgrass seeds from germinating.’
- ‘How many times have you missed a duck because you were wondering whether you were standing in crabgrass or sawgrass?’
- ‘There wasn't a bit of crabgrass anywhere, thanks to his careful tending.’
- ‘The same goes for common garden weeds like crabgrass and common purslane.’
- ‘It is for control of black nightshade, pigweed, waterhemp, foxtail and crabgrass.’
- ‘Yellow foxtail and crabgrass should be treated prior to tiller initiation for best results.’
- ‘One unique tel sequence was found in sorghum, hairy crabgrass, barley, rye, and pearl millet, as was found in rice.’
- ‘All summer we fight Bermuda grass, nut grass, crabgrass, goosegrass, Dallis grass, spurge, pigweed and others.’
- ‘By allowing grass blades to shade the ground, you prevent crabgrass from sprouting.’
- ‘The existing crabgrass responds well to being pulled.’
- ‘If crabgrass and dandelions are a problem, try a herbicidal soap.’
- ‘If you don't like having dandelions and crabgrass in your lawn, then dig them out.’
- ‘Orchardgrass and clover, Matua bromegrass, crabgrass, cereal rye, and alfalfa have also been used.’
- ‘I've got two acres here in Florida infested with crabgrass.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.