Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A slender grey Antarctic seal which lives on the pack ice, feeding mainly on krill.
- ‘After the summer moult, the crabeater seal is dark brown dorsally and grades to blonde ventrally.’
- ‘Waterproof hair and insulating fat, called blubber, help crabeater seals stay warm in the frigid waters.’
- ‘When crabeater seals are upset, they often foam at the nose.’
- ‘Crabeater seals prefer to eat a shrimp-like animal called krill rather than crabs.’
- ‘We also have seen several crabeater seal pups with fresh leopard seal wounds during the past two days.’
- ‘Some of their teeth are similar to the fancy teeth of the crabeater seal for filtering krill out of the water.’
- ‘Wandering crabeater seals have been recorded in South Africa, South America, New Zealand and Australia.’
- ‘A school of crabeater seals surfs the turquoise surge around the base of a grounded iceberg.’
- ‘In the past, small numbers of crabeater seals have been exploited as food for sledge dogs.’
- ‘Contrary to its name, the crabeater seal feeds almost entirely on krill.’
- ‘The fur of a recently moulted crabeater seal exhibits a rich shimmering of light and dark grey hues.’
- ‘A captive crabeater seal was observed to suck prey items into its mouth with one gulp from distances of up to 50 cm.’
- ‘Younger crabeater seals have small specks and webs of brown or dark gray over much of their dorsal side.’
- ‘One of the best bits was coming upon a crabeater seal sitting on an iceberg.’
- ‘He led a study of crabeater seals, tagging 34 seals and tracking their foraging patterns.’
- ‘A decrease in sea ice could negatively affect crabeater seal populations.’
- ‘The one hundred kilograms of herbivores can support only ten kilograms of foxes or crabeater seals.’
- ‘Antarctic crabeater seals would be taken as part of his country's research program.’
- ‘There are six species of seals that appear in the waters around Antarctica: the leopard seal, the fur seal, the crabeater seal, the elephant seal, the Weddell seal, and the Ross seal.’
- ‘Most of these were crabeater seals but I was excited to see that one was different.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.