One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slender grey Antarctic seal which lives on the pack ice, feeding mainly on krill.
"Lobodon carcinophagus", family "Phocidae"
- ‘When crabeater seals are upset, they often foam at the nose.’
- ‘Antarctic crabeater seals would be taken as part of his country's research program.’
- ‘Wandering crabeater seals have been recorded in South Africa, South America, New Zealand and Australia.’
- ‘A school of crabeater seals surfs the turquoise surge around the base of a grounded iceberg.’
- ‘A decrease in sea ice could negatively affect crabeater seal populations.’
- ‘Contrary to its name, the crabeater seal feeds almost entirely on krill.’
- ‘A captive crabeater seal was observed to suck prey items into its mouth with one gulp from distances of up to 50 cm.’
- ‘We also have seen several crabeater seal pups with fresh leopard seal wounds during the past two days.’
- ‘After the summer moult, the crabeater seal is dark brown dorsally and grades to blonde ventrally.’
- ‘One of the best bits was coming upon a crabeater seal sitting on an iceberg.’
- ‘Most of these were crabeater seals but I was excited to see that one was different.’
- ‘Crabeater seals prefer to eat a shrimp-like animal called krill rather than crabs.’
- ‘He led a study of crabeater seals, tagging 34 seals and tracking their foraging patterns.’
- ‘The fur of a recently moulted crabeater seal exhibits a rich shimmering of light and dark grey hues.’
- ‘Some of their teeth are similar to the fancy teeth of the crabeater seal for filtering krill out of the water.’
- ‘Younger crabeater seals have small specks and webs of brown or dark gray over much of their dorsal side.’
- ‘The one hundred kilograms of herbivores can support only ten kilograms of foxes or crabeater seals.’
- ‘In the past, small numbers of crabeater seals have been exploited as food for sledge dogs.’
- ‘There are six species of seals that appear in the waters around Antarctica: the leopard seal, the fur seal, the crabeater seal, the elephant seal, the Weddell seal, and the Ross seal.’
- ‘Waterproof hair and insulating fat, called blubber, help crabeater seals stay warm in the frigid waters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.