Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A patty of flaked or minced crab meat, typically served fried.‘crab cakes with spicy tomato sauce’
- ‘A seemingly weightless yet richly rewarding crab cake is almost animated by ginger.’
- ‘I paid more than $20 per pound the last time I made crab cakes.’
- ‘He offers an extensive list of by-the-glass wines to accompany their best-selling crab cakes and prime rib steaks.’
- ‘Filler-free silver dollar crab cakes, seasoned with a touch of Japanese chili, are accompanied by tomato vinaigrette.’
- ‘To finish the crab cakes: Preheat a fryer to 350 degrees.’
- ‘Opening the small cover of the wooden bowl, you can see a golden sea urchin covering a small stewed crab cake.’
- ‘You can choose from Cornish crab cakes, fresh pea soup, Colchester oysters or a club sandwich for lunch.’
- ‘Start the cabbage salad first, then make the aioli and crab cakes.’
- ‘Place three crab cakes on top of the coulis.’
- ‘The key to great crab cake is the crab.’
- ‘Place a mound of micro greens on top of the crab cakes.’
- ‘Fry the crab cakes until golden brown and drain on paper towels.’
- ‘The crab cakes ($9) had no flavour at all.’
- ‘Crab cakes take about 10 minutes to prepare (the menu explains this) and so they wait quite a while for their starters.’
- ‘Many tourists are attracted by the local food specialities: soft-shell crab and Maryland crab cake.’
- ‘Remove parchment paper from pan and place partially cooked crab cakes on the pan.’
- ‘There's no bread in it, but the crab cakes stay together because they're cooked on a baking sheet in the oven.’
- ‘The menu reads as though it was developed by a committee where every vote counts, so there are salad rolls, butter chicken, lamb, bison, calamari and crab cakes.’
- ‘Garnish the crab cakes with the toasted rice vermicelli.’
- ‘When we saw Maryland crab cakes on the menu they were our happy choice.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.