One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A farm building in which cattle are kept when not at pasture, or in which they are milked.
- ‘After the barn was raised, I built a cowshed and horse stall on the east side.’
- ‘Visiting the remote village where her ancestors lived, Syal retrieves a stone from the ruined family home - now a cowshed.’
- ‘His house ran on free electricity, which also powered a cowshed, and a workshop where it ran his custom-built tools.’
- ‘Then we were kicked out and went to live in a cowshed.’
- ‘That member might have some vague and fond memories of being in a cowshed, looking up, and thinking that life is good.’
- ‘The forge at Coppenagh was used as a store and later as a cowshed.’
- ‘The area where the cowsheds stand will become a forbidden area for poultry and livestock breeding.’
- ‘May cows come and bring us good fortune; let them stay in our cowsheds and be content in our company.’
- ‘The nondescript enclosure stands squeezed on a road full of cowsheds and one-room hutments.’
- ‘And instead of the boardroom, this show will be shot in a cowshed.’
- ‘The Ford Motor Company started in the corner of a cowshed.’
- ‘It's a mixture of habitable buildings, several disused farms, cowsheds and what was probably once a pigsty.’
- ‘On these walks we would visit the cowsheds, which were a delight to us, for often there would be calves frolicking.’
- ‘Our cowshed has seen some repairs, the thatch is re-laid annually and old worm-infested wooden pole and frames are replaced.’
- ‘‘You can't get away from the fact that you're still in a cowshed,’ he says.’
- ‘That evening, as she took the rice gruel to the cowshed after straining the cooked rice, she screamed out in terror.’
- ‘For help with the structural side of the cowshed, he called on old school friend Tom Hotter, also an engineer.’
- ‘Heated conversations are being held around kitchen tables, in school staffrooms, in cowsheds, and in shearing sheds.’
- ‘Her studio is a former cowshed on the edge of a wildlife area in Prunje, Holland.’
- ‘Times were when we did not need to generate more electricity to pump that water or to run the cowsheds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.