One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A viral disease of cows' udders which, when contracted by humans through contact, resembles mild smallpox, and was the basis of the first smallpox vaccines.
- ‘In 1796, Jenner began to infect people first with the far more benign cowpox and then with smallpox.’
- ‘Jim had only slept that late once, the week and a half when he had gotten the cowpox.’
- ‘Vaccination of smallpox started in the late 18th century with Jenner's cowpox vaccine.’
- ‘It is a weakened form of cowpox that is used to make the vaccine.’
- ‘He used the mild disease cowpox to confer immunity for the potentially fatal but biochemically similar smallpox.’
- ‘The process induced cowpox, a mild viral disease that conferred immunity to smallpox.’
- ‘He showed that cowpox vaccination prevented smallpox in a child deliberately exposed to the disease.’
- ‘Other viruses in this group that can cause infection in humans include variola, vaccinia (used in smallpox vaccine), and cowpox viruses.’
- ‘There's also a review of past cases of transmission of cowpox from the vaccinated to the unvaccinated.’
- ‘At the end of the 1700s, Jenner realized that people who had contracted cowpox, or ‘vaccinia,’ didn't get smallpox.’
- ‘You are always pretty certain to get cowpox; likewise your nails fester.’
- ‘Here's an electron microscope image of a herpes virus and here's the cowpox virus.’
- ‘Specialists have sought to mimic the response by devising a vaccine containing HIV virus tucked inside a disabled cowpox virus.’
- ‘A spouse and child came down with a mild case of cowpox.’
- ‘He noticed that milkmaids who had recovered from cowpox were resistant to contracting small pox.’
- ‘Having been inoculated with cowpox, Phipps was now immune to smallpox.’
- ‘The cowpox virus, which infects a range of animals including humans, has been genetically altered in a similar way.’
- ‘Injecting yourself with a cowpox vaccine or medicine made of mould must once have seemed very alternative.’
- ‘Unlike vaccination, which utilised the cowpox virus, inoculation involved the deliberate infection of a susceptible individual.’
- ‘And it should be noted, no one has given the cowpox to anyone else, either.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.