Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of a pair of small glands which open into the urethra at the base of the penis and secrete a constituent of seminal fluid.
- ‘Sexual arousal can cause fluid from the Cowper's glands to be released prior to ejaculation.’
- ‘The Cowper's glands secrete a small amount of pre-ejaculate fluid prior to orgasm.’
- ‘I have suffered from discomfort and pain in the area of the Cowper's glands for around eight years now.’
- ‘The paired Cowper's glands lie below the prostate on either side of the urethra.’
- ‘My son has just been diagnosed with a cyst on one of his Cowper's glands.’
Mid 18th century: named after William Cowper (1666–1709), English anatomist.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.