Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of a pair of small glands which open into the urethra at the base of the penis and secrete a constituent of seminal fluid.
- ‘My son has just been diagnosed with a cyst on one of his Cowper's glands.’
- ‘The Cowper's glands secrete a small amount of pre-ejaculate fluid prior to orgasm.’
- ‘Sexual arousal can cause fluid from the Cowper's glands to be released prior to ejaculation.’
- ‘The paired Cowper's glands lie below the prostate on either side of the urethra.’
- ‘I have suffered from discomfort and pain in the area of the Cowper's glands for around eight years now.’
Mid 18th century: named after William Cowper (1666–1709), English anatomist.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.