Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Canada) a thick sweater decorated with symbols taken from the mythology of the Cowichan Indians of southern Vancouver Island.
- ‘As the Icelandic sweater is to Iceland, so the Cowichan sweater is to Canada.’
- ‘In summer you can watch the creation of the famous Cowichan sweaters as they are hand - knit in one piece.’
- ‘You will have to continue the tradition and knit two Cowichan sweaters for your kiddies.’
- ‘These provide all the natural colours used in authentic Cowichan sweaters from creamy white through to brown and black.’
- ‘A man had this Cowichan sweater specially made for his wife and I was so happy to find it.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.