Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A cow's hide.
- ‘These days Peeters is making cowhide paintings.’
- ‘Current artificial skin grafts, such as Integra, which is made from cowhide, have been around for nearly 20 years now.’
- ‘The saddle is made of a single animal skin, here a tanned cowhide.’
- ‘He caught sight of the cowhide hanging on a wall.’
- ‘Growing up on an Idaho ranch, he learned to work cowhide from his father, a rawhide braider in the Spanish tradition.’
- ‘Animals often devour the vulnerable mucous membranes of dead animals, instead of trying to burrow through the cowhide.’
- ‘The boy's ‘village’ was made up of cowhide tents with different designs painted on.’
- ‘The soft cowhide was light and surprisingly cool to the touch.’
- ‘Its distinctive shape sits on the map like a cowhide laid out in the sun to dry.’
- ‘First they found a cowhide, corn kernels, shell casings - white-man stuff.’
- ‘Made of cowhide, metal, glass, coloured foil and wood, these are strange creatures indeed.’
- ‘Heavier, durable cowhide comes from older animals.’
- ‘Round the vast trunk he wraps a rope that he braided from cowhide.’
- ‘There are many ways to misuse cowhide (especially that with the hair still in place), steer horns, and ‘decorative’ barbed wire.’
- ‘Water buffalo is not as durable as cowhide, but it's cheaper because of its large supply.’
- ‘The rows are linked with recycled plastic spacers, which were once made of cowhide.’
- ‘They chose the wrong man to leave wrapped in a cowhide to die.’
- ‘He then put a piece of cowhide through each stone making them necklaces.’
- ‘The men dress as warriors, wave their clubs, and thrust their cowhide shields forward.’
- ‘Suede is simply the inside layer of a cowhide.’
- 1.1mass noun Leather made from the hide of a cow.‘strips of cowhide’
- ‘But as I write this, I'm wearing a belt and shoes made of cowhide.’
- ‘Leopard and tiger prints, feathers, suede and cowhide with fringe, and a jump in fur sales are all recent trends.’
- ‘He worships at an obelisk lit by a single spotlamp, dressed in roughly fashioned cowhide.’
- ‘The sharkskin is layered over heavy cowhide but the more I use it the more appealing the shark becomes.’
- ‘Traditionally, Chagga clothing was made of cowhide.’
- ‘Horsehide holds its hand-boned fit much better than cowhide.’
- ‘Karma's cowhide moccasins were dyed scarlet and were beaded with white wood beads.’
- ‘This is a traditionally lined holster, with smooth-out top-grade cowhide on both inner and outer surfaces of the holster.’
- ‘The chaise can be lifted from its frame and placed on the floor as a rocker and comes in canvas, leather and cowhide upholstery options.’
- ‘Tony's folks will use cowhide or horsehide, your choice.’
- ‘Lambskin is similar in texture to cowhide although finer.’
- ‘Kitila and her mother wore only common cowhide clothing.’
- ‘The decor - offset by luxurious red leather and cowhide sofas - is a form of therapy in itself.’
- ‘The holster itself is two layers of cowhide with a thumb break.’
- ‘Gallagher constructs all of his holsters from horsehide, not the typical cowhide.’
- ‘The holsters are hand-stitched using the finest leather, horsehide, cowhide, sharkskin and exotics like ostrich and stingray.’
- ‘But let's face it - what we're talking about here is cowhide, something that is seen in everyday use.’
- ‘Even with her physique under cowhide, her tapered silhouette is always striking.’
- ‘Shimmering into the penthouse James plopped into the expensive leather chair and sighed breathing in the smell of dye and cowhide.’
- ‘Other styles to look out for are cowhide, ethnic, pearl embroidery and mother of pearl effect.’
- 1.2 A whip made from cowhide.
- ‘He lashes Tom across the face with a cowhide and strikes him several times, then asks Tom again if he will do it.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.