One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high-heeled boot of a style originally worn by cowboys, typically with a pointed toe and decorative stitching.
- ‘Even before then, I saw some cowboy on TV drinking water out of his boot, so I got a cowboy boot and tried it.’
- ‘One emporium visited seemed to sell every conceivable kind and color of cowboy boot.’
- ‘These were initially designed to enable cowboy boots to fit perfectly under jeans.’
- ‘Mark had said earlier how much he liked cowboy boots and had asked me if there were any boot stores in the area.’
- ‘She dressed in a simple denim jumper and a new straw cowboy hat with red cowboy boots.’
- ‘In lieu of that, I once saw a guy open a bottle of wine by smacking the bottom of it with a cowboy boot until the cork popped up.’
- ‘No high-heeled feet or cowboy boots will go pitter-patter or clump-clump on the pavement.’
- ‘Just then I felt the triangular toe of a cowboy boot nudge my shin.’
- ‘And that was totally like the sign I needed to confirm that cowboy boots are out.’
- ‘Almost every gym has a few men training either with construction boots or in some cases, with cowboy boots.’
- ‘Only leaders with cowboy hats and cowboy boots can set things right.’
- ‘At the end the cheery music stops and you notice the Santa is wearing Texas style cowboy boots.’
- ‘In the next panel, a cowboy boot kicks the globe clear of the frame.’
- ‘In Sydney the big thing seems to be American cowboy boots, preferably worn out.’
- ‘Tex-Mex food is served promptly every Thursday night, but shirts are buttoned-down and there's not a cowboy boot in sight.’
- ‘In the land of sneakers, hiking boots and designer footwear, Dave was the guy in cowboy boots.’
- ‘They both drove the same truck and they both wore cowboy hats and cowboy boots.’
- ‘Entering the car was like being shoved headfirst into a cowboy boot.’
- ‘A gifted rider is a horseman, whether they wear cowboy boots or English field boots.’
- ‘She wore a black low cut tank top black jeans under black chaps with fringe along the edges and black cowboy boots with silver stitching.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.