Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A New World songbird with dark plumage and a relatively short bill, typically laying its eggs in other birds' nests.
- ‘Our findings suggest that cowbirds are relatively long lived and that recruitment into the breeding population is low.’
- ‘Warbling Vireo nests that are parasitized by cowbirds typically produce no vireo young.’
- ‘The only characteristic that separated parasitic cowbirds from their nonparasitic relatives was an increase in eggshell thickness.’
- ‘This fracturing allows birds of the forest edge, such as cowbirds and blue jays, to parasitize and prey upon the thrushes.’
- ‘We observed live female cowbirds at sparrow nests on 12 occasions; 11 of these were laying bouts.’
- ‘Chaffinches and cowbirds are not the only birds that teach song to their young.’
- ‘In Missouri, sparrows and cowbirds arrived at nests at 13.5 and 14.7 min before sunrise, respectively.’
- ‘While female cowbirds don't sing, male cowbirds belt out a small repertory of songs, each one less than a second long.’
- ‘Instead of our winter visitors that left us for more northern areas, we now have grackles, red-wings and cowbirds.’
- ‘Open land provides habitat for cowbirds and nest predators.’
- ‘Rothstein said that since most songbirds only sing, he suspects the cowbirds learned to sing before they started to dance.’
- ‘Blackbirds, cowbirds, and mockingbirds are common companions throughout most of the year.’
- ‘Studies have revealed that as many as 90 percent of the vireo nests in Texas and Oklahoma have been invaded by cowbirds.’
- ‘Since 1972, decoy traps baited with seeds and live cowbirds have been set out across the warbler's breeding grounds.’
- ‘Estimating the cost of accepting a cowbird egg was done by experimentally placing newly hatched cowbird chicks into catbird nests.’
- ‘Incubation time is short, 10 to 12 days, which allows the young cowbird to get a head start in the nest.’
- ‘Cowbird visits usually occurred after the host left the nest, suggesting that cowbirds monitored nests closely.’
- ‘In British Columbia, nearly 25% of Veery nests found had been parasitized by cowbirds.’
- ‘Cuckoos and cowbirds lay eggs in nests of different species to avoid the costs of brood care.’
- ‘The probability of parasitism may vary among hosts because differences in their behaviors assist cowbirds in locating nests.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.