Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A New World songbird with dark plumage and a relatively short bill, typically laying its eggs in other birds' nests.
- ‘We observed live female cowbirds at sparrow nests on 12 occasions; 11 of these were laying bouts.’
- ‘Cuckoos and cowbirds lay eggs in nests of different species to avoid the costs of brood care.’
- ‘Blackbirds, cowbirds, and mockingbirds are common companions throughout most of the year.’
- ‘Rothstein said that since most songbirds only sing, he suspects the cowbirds learned to sing before they started to dance.’
- ‘Since 1972, decoy traps baited with seeds and live cowbirds have been set out across the warbler's breeding grounds.’
- ‘Our findings suggest that cowbirds are relatively long lived and that recruitment into the breeding population is low.’
- ‘The only characteristic that separated parasitic cowbirds from their nonparasitic relatives was an increase in eggshell thickness.’
- ‘Estimating the cost of accepting a cowbird egg was done by experimentally placing newly hatched cowbird chicks into catbird nests.’
- ‘Warbling Vireo nests that are parasitized by cowbirds typically produce no vireo young.’
- ‘In Missouri, sparrows and cowbirds arrived at nests at 13.5 and 14.7 min before sunrise, respectively.’
- ‘Studies have revealed that as many as 90 percent of the vireo nests in Texas and Oklahoma have been invaded by cowbirds.’
- ‘While female cowbirds don't sing, male cowbirds belt out a small repertory of songs, each one less than a second long.’
- ‘Instead of our winter visitors that left us for more northern areas, we now have grackles, red-wings and cowbirds.’
- ‘The probability of parasitism may vary among hosts because differences in their behaviors assist cowbirds in locating nests.’
- ‘Incubation time is short, 10 to 12 days, which allows the young cowbird to get a head start in the nest.’
- ‘Chaffinches and cowbirds are not the only birds that teach song to their young.’
- ‘Cowbird visits usually occurred after the host left the nest, suggesting that cowbirds monitored nests closely.’
- ‘In British Columbia, nearly 25% of Veery nests found had been parasitized by cowbirds.’
- ‘This fracturing allows birds of the forest edge, such as cowbirds and blue jays, to parasitize and prey upon the thrushes.’
- ‘Open land provides habitat for cowbirds and nest predators.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.