Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A New World songbird with dark plumage and a relatively short bill, typically laying its eggs in other birds' nests.
- ‘This fracturing allows birds of the forest edge, such as cowbirds and blue jays, to parasitize and prey upon the thrushes.’
- ‘In Missouri, sparrows and cowbirds arrived at nests at 13.5 and 14.7 min before sunrise, respectively.’
- ‘Open land provides habitat for cowbirds and nest predators.’
- ‘We observed live female cowbirds at sparrow nests on 12 occasions; 11 of these were laying bouts.’
- ‘Blackbirds, cowbirds, and mockingbirds are common companions throughout most of the year.’
- ‘In British Columbia, nearly 25% of Veery nests found had been parasitized by cowbirds.’
- ‘Rothstein said that since most songbirds only sing, he suspects the cowbirds learned to sing before they started to dance.’
- ‘Estimating the cost of accepting a cowbird egg was done by experimentally placing newly hatched cowbird chicks into catbird nests.’
- ‘Chaffinches and cowbirds are not the only birds that teach song to their young.’
- ‘Cuckoos and cowbirds lay eggs in nests of different species to avoid the costs of brood care.’
- ‘While female cowbirds don't sing, male cowbirds belt out a small repertory of songs, each one less than a second long.’
- ‘Cowbird visits usually occurred after the host left the nest, suggesting that cowbirds monitored nests closely.’
- ‘Our findings suggest that cowbirds are relatively long lived and that recruitment into the breeding population is low.’
- ‘Studies have revealed that as many as 90 percent of the vireo nests in Texas and Oklahoma have been invaded by cowbirds.’
- ‘Incubation time is short, 10 to 12 days, which allows the young cowbird to get a head start in the nest.’
- ‘Since 1972, decoy traps baited with seeds and live cowbirds have been set out across the warbler's breeding grounds.’
- ‘Warbling Vireo nests that are parasitized by cowbirds typically produce no vireo young.’
- ‘The probability of parasitism may vary among hosts because differences in their behaviors assist cowbirds in locating nests.’
- ‘Instead of our winter visitors that left us for more northern areas, we now have grackles, red-wings and cowbirds.’
- ‘The only characteristic that separated parasitic cowbirds from their nonparasitic relatives was an increase in eggshell thickness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.