One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yellowish-flowered plant of the figwort family, partly parasitic on the roots of other plants and found in both Eurasia and North America.
Genus Melampyrum, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, including common cow wheat (M. pratense)
- ‘The common cow wheat, together with blaeberry, are conspicuous in the ground flora.’
- ‘We drove a little further and stopped to see a large collection of wild bergamot and lots of cow wheat.’
- ‘Given the sandy soils, the ground flora in these areas is dominated by bracken, wavy hair grass and common cow wheat.’
- ‘This species is often mistaken for the common cow wheat.’
- ‘Look out for some of the more unusual woodland flowers like common cow wheat with its long, yellow flowers.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.