Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A European hedgerow plant of the parsley family, which has fern-like leaves and large heads of tiny white flowers, giving the appearance of lace.Also called Queen Anne's lace
- ‘The foaming heads of white cow parsley provide a superb foil to the pink peaflowers of the Judas tree.’
- ‘Ragwort and cow parsley grew almost as high as the platform.’
- ‘Farmyards were heralded by cow parsley, and the woods reeked of wet dog.’
- ‘I had a brief flurry of activity when the cow parsley stem I was using as a float started to jerk upstream.’
- ‘The shop sold clotted cream, the paths were lined with split log fences and cow parsley and we were less than a mile from the sea.’
- ‘It was quite clear that the garden he was describing was an English idyll sprouting cow parsley, chestnut trees and long green grass.’
- ‘She also created more delicate designs: florets of cow parsley and Slovakian folk-style peasant motifs.’
- ‘Uncontrolled growth of weeds and cow parsley had totally concealed entrances.’
- ‘Threads have been dyed in authentic colours of the period, using natural dyes which have been derived from plants like cow parsley.’
- ‘With the onset of summer there's the cow parsley, poppies, honeysuckle, wild roses, speedwell, ragged robin and foxgloves.’
- ‘Wild chervil is another name for the common wild plant cow parsley.’
- ‘Meadow flowers, like cow parsley and nettles, were being grazed by the occasional elk or aurochs.’
- ‘They are the tap roots of a plant in the umbelliferae family which includes parsley, cow parsley and hemlock.’
- ‘Lots of flowers down there at the moment - irises, hawthorn, buttercups, cow parsley, herb robert.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.