Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shed or shelter for cows.
hut, lean-to, outhouse, outbuilding, shackView synonyms
- ‘Free stabling in cow-houses causes troubles especially in the group treatment of animals, and in some cases even in a herd treatment.’
- ‘Outside in the cow-house my mother made the music of milking.’
- ‘After one or two ineffectual attempts he managed to pitch the key of the cow-house door in through the window.’
- ‘He ignored the pale, angry faces peering out at the cow-house window.’
- ‘By this means, the cow-house may be extended to any degree of accommodation required.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.