Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flat fee paid for admission to a restaurant, bar, club, etc.‘that tempting little basket of bread that comes with the cover charge’
- ‘Pay your cover charge and stop running around from club to club.’
- ‘Unfortunately, for this reader, the humor fell flat and I was left wishing for a return on a cover charge.’
- ‘Depending on when you arrive, there could be a cover charge of up to $5.00.’
- ‘There will be 8 local bands performing from 4pm to 10 pm and the cover charge will be 8 Euro.’
- ‘The cover charge and the drink price is not worth it.’
- ‘So, from now on, if we charge a cover charge, it's going to be at least $6.’
- ‘We came back the next night and were told the cover charge was R50.’
- ‘The night starts at 8.30 with a cover charge of 15 euro.’
- ‘A cover charge of $5.00 per person (as well as donations) will be collected.’
- ‘At nine, we paid a small cover charge and went downstairs.’
- ‘You walk out the door and there's $20, as if it's a cover charge for the city.’
- ‘A cover charge of Eu 5.00 per walk (Children Under 12 with adult only) will apply.’
- ‘Standard cover charge is €25 per person with corporate tables of ten costing €200.’
- ‘The cover charge was $3 but with the obligatory tip, it was more like $3.02.’
- ‘Early reports said there would be a cover charge at all times.’
- ‘The cover charge of Rs.150 includes refreshments and dinner.’
- ‘Games kick off at 8pm with a cover charge of £1, which includes light refreshments.’
- ‘There's always a cover charge at the door of a sex club, as high as $50, which goes straight to management.’
- ‘All are welcome to attend and there is a nominal cover charge of 2.’
- ‘No cover charge we are told, so all the groovier.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.