One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deal with something thoroughly.‘we thought our legal department had covered all the bases in our terms and conditions’
- ‘A book with a tripartite title may be said to cover all bases, and it does just that.’
- ‘The museum's approach to Ancient Egyptian culture attempts to cover all bases, but falls short of doing this.’
- ‘In covering all bases the film gives us an openhanded view of the corporation's frightening grasp on our lives.’
- ‘It seemed to cover all bases although I was surprised that the court case was glossed over so quickly.’
- ‘As befits Colonial Williamsburg, the present large book about its costume collection covers all bases.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.