One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An industrial city in the west Midlands of England; population 271,100 (est. 2009).
send someone to Coventry
Refuse to associate with or speak to someone.‘some people ignore and send to Coventry individuals they disapprove of’
ostracize, exclude, shun, spurn, cold-shoulder, give someone the cold shoulder, reject, repudiate, boycott, blackball, blacklist, cast off, cast out, shut out, avoid, ignore, snub, cut dead, keep at arm's length, leave out in the cold, bar, ban, debar, banish, exile, expelavoid, evade, eschew, steer clear of, shy away from, fight shy of, recoil from, keep away from, keep one's distance from, give a wide berth to, have nothing to do with, leave alone, not touchView synonyms
- ‘Jesse apologised to me for lying to me and I apologised to him for having sent him to Coventry for two days.’
- ‘He is a man who would send you to Coventry for five days if you made a remark about Stalin.’
- ‘You don't necessarily have to send them to Coventry, you don't have to physically remove themselves from yourself.’
- ‘He's obviously intrigued but trying hard not to sound too keen in case the other fogeys at the paper send him to Coventry.’
- ‘She was secretly filmed by colleagues, who then sent her to Coventry during a campaign of victimisation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.