One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in 17th-century Scotland) an adherent of the National Covenant (1638) or of the Solemn League and Covenant (1643), upholding the organization of the Scottish Presbyterian Church.See also covenantor
- ‘She had stood for truth above compromise in those cruel and difficult days for the Scottish Covenanters of 1685.’
- ‘Radical Covenanters managed to defeat Turner at the battle of Drumclog in 1679.’
- ‘Drawn from all parts of Scotland and all sections of society, Covenanters subscribed to the National Covenant of 1638.’
- ‘If you go right here and follow the path for a few hundred yards, you reach a memorial to six Covenanters shot dead in 1685.’
- ‘After the defeat of the Scottish Covenanters at Bothwell Brig in 1687, a new wave of Scottish refugees came to Ulster.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.