One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting chemical bonds formed by the sharing of electrons between atoms.Often contrasted with ionic
- ‘The three shared pairs of electrons between the two carbon atoms create a triple covalent bond.’
- ‘These rules are the result of assigning all electrons in a covalent bond to the more electronegative atom in the bond.’
- ‘Pairs of electrons that are not shared in covalent bonds are lone pairs.’
- ‘In a covalent diatomic molecule, a difference in the electronegativity of the atoms will result in a dipole moment.’
- ‘To complete an octet, each oxygen must share two electrons in a covalent bond.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.