One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rod which couples the driving wheels of a locomotive, enabling them to act as a unit.
- ‘The chassis is only gear-driven to the rear axle, the coupling rods transferring the drive.’
- ‘The big end bearing on the right hand coupling rod had some white metal repaired, by puddling up.’
- ‘The next step was the fluting of the main and coupling rods, an easy operation on the vertical mill.’
- ‘If you haven't built it yet - do so - fuse it to the coupling rod or the wheel - it doesn't matter which.’
- ‘Additional clearance can be generated by counterboring the coupling rod to accept the head of the bush.’
- ‘This is to hold the 4 penny washers in place which in turn hold the coupling rods on the pins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.