One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A constant representing the strength of the interaction between a particle and a field.
- ‘But its predictions for the coupling constants - the constants that describe the strengths of the strong, weak and electromagnetic interactions - were wrong.’
- ‘That's an important detail, because the size of the gravitational coupling constant is what determines the distance scale of quantum gravity.’
- ‘For electromagnetism, the coupling constant is called the fine structure constant a and is formed by the electron charge, Planck's constant and the speed of light.’
- ‘Newton's constant is the coupling constant for the gravitational force, for example.’
- ‘As I mentioned, the coupling constant of string theory is not really a constant at all, and in many respects it is very similar to the compactification moduli.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.