One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A thing that connects two things, especially mechanical components or systems.‘a hydraulic coupler’
join, junction, juncture, intersection, link, linkage, connection, nexusView synonyms
- ‘It is perfect for storing paper towels to use to clean up hands or to wipe the dirt and grime from hydraulic couplers.’
- ‘With such a coupler you can be confident that buying a new machine will not obsolete your old attachments.’
- ‘The coupler and safety chains should be checked for disrepair.’
- ‘A user-controlled shutter system determined which laser was directed at the coupler.’
- ‘This coupler features five bolts - three on the larger-diameter side and two on the smaller-diameter side.’
- ‘In railroad terms, humping refers to connecting railroad cars together by opening the couplers and sending them down a little hill, at the bottom of which is a partly-assembled train.’
- ‘This dramatically reduces the materials needed, since it's easier to bend bars than to use mechanical couplers or splicing-in short bent sections that waste material.’
- ‘The radiation shield was completed except for the electron coupler wires.’
- ‘With the quick coupler, for instance, you can disconnect a bucket and use the lifting eye on the coupler as a hoisting device.’
- ‘So we designed a bucket where the coupler hinges were located high on the bucket.’
- ‘Hydraulic quick couplers can save time when switching attachments.’
- ‘Ask your local dealers about the availability of a universal coupler; its name describes it well.’
- ‘An external seal is affixed to an opposite end of the first coupler member and affixed to an exterior surface of the first duct.’
- ‘The masonry units require steel post tension rods, anchor bolts, steel plates, and couplers for installation.’
- ‘Instead, connectivity between the bricks is accomplished using a capacitive coupler.’
- ‘There's no sound now but for train wheels and couplers.’
- ‘I never took the coupler out of my bag and, for the first time since 1992, went a week without picking up my email.’
- ‘It is now thought by the railways to be adequately done with electronic devices connected to the last coupler.’
- ‘The quick connect couplers make it fast and simple to change tools.’
- ‘In another design innovation, manufacturers offer a coupler feature on some machines, which allows operators to change attachments, often without leaving the cab.’
- 1.1Music A device in an organ for connecting two manuals, or a manual with pedals, so that they both sound when only one is played.
fastener, clasp, hasp, catch, pin, hook, buckle, lock, linkView synonyms
- ‘A coupler allows the lower manual to pluck all three registers.’
- 1.2Music A device in an organ for connecting notes with their octaves above or below.
- ‘This alone allows great nuances in color and dynamics. 32’ and 16’ ranks, reeds and octave couplers add to the foundation and expressional qualities of the organ.’
- ‘According to the invention, an octave coupler effect is achieved by carrying out the following formula.’
- ‘Two additional octave couplers support the swell organ so that the tonal resources can be used to full advantage.’
- ‘Salicional, viole, and octave coupler produce a satisfactory string chorus which is yet not so vivid as to be inconsistent with the genius of the Willis organ.’
- ‘Its principals, mixtures, reeds, and octave couplers could deliver enough power to wake the dead.’
- 1.3Photography A compound in a developer or an emulsion which combines with the products of development to form an insoluble dye, part of the image.
- ‘It is among his choices for an exhibition of chromogenic dye coupler prints that speaks of the alienation and introspection of travel.’
- ‘It is a silver halide photographic material containing a magenta coupler and a compound that can break the aggregation of an azomethine dye.’
- 1.4 A modem which converts digital signals from a computer into audible sound signals and vice versa, so that the former can be transmitted and received over telephone lines.
- ‘This switching matrix has input ports, output ports and a passive optical core consisting of optical couplers.’
- ‘They also had an early 300-baud modem, replete with the coupler into which you had to put the phone receiver.’
- ‘You place the coupler like a mirror image against a telephone handset, strap it in place, plug the other end into your modem and dial.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.