Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK) a school that is established and funded by the local education authority.
- ‘In addition, £21 million will go straight to county schools for smaller scale works and £2million has been allocated for access improvements and disabled toilets.’
- ‘However, she said that the council were in favour of the site being used as a county school rather than a Church of England school, as this would mean a more inclusive system for local children.’
- ‘That leaves county schools in dire straits, with many already having to unravel established teaching practices.’
- ‘I lost my personal passion for rugby when I had a county schools trial.’
- ‘But county school leaders said teachers were responsible enough to handle the controversial material sensitively.’
- ‘They teamed up with local council staff to provide a county school with its own sensory garden.’
- ‘In one article, county school officials said they did not understand why this remains a problem.’
- ‘We also have a lot more children to educate in county schools compared to last year.’
- ‘The county schools were motivated to design a nutrition education tool targeted at young people from the area, encouraging them to adopt healthy lifestyles for life.’
- ‘The 1902 Education Act established a system of municipal and county schools alongside the older grammar schools, which were popularly known as grammar schools.’
- ‘More than 200 teaching posts advertised by county schools have not been filled as headteachers in urban areas struggle to attract staff.’
- ‘Meanwhile, county schools who had abandoned their bid for specialist college status in light of the current funding problems, have been told to press on.’
- ‘‘Church schools do often seem to be more attractive than county schools and that makes them difficult to get in to,’ he said’
- ‘In one ongoing case, a former pupil is suing the county school board after being barred from singing at her graduation ceremony because of the song's references to faith and God.’
- ‘The County Council has put up the cash for new name plates at the entrances of county schools.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.