One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) the elected governing body of an administrative county.
- ‘He said the scheme was worthwhile and the county council still hoped to work with the parish council.’
- ‘The rest is set by the county council, emergency services and town or parish councils.’
- ‘Also I have had detailed correspondence with the chief executive of the county council.’
- ‘He said the scheme would lead to increased bureaucracy and costs to the county council.’
- ‘Just over half of the required funding has been awarded to the county council by the government.’
- ‘As a next step the county council will produce an action plan to make sure the policy is put into action.’
- ‘The previous county council was dominated by an alliance of the Lib Dems and Conservatives.’
- ‘Over half the elected councillors are new to the county council and can lead a fresh start.’
- ‘He urged the panel to recommend that a plan be organised with the county council to avoid future problems.’
- ‘The county council is closing the premises following new government legislation.’
- ‘The town council and the county council need to have a say in the future for this town.’
- ‘If you fall over in the street then there is probably an insurance policy covering the county council for that to.’
- ‘The issue will be discussed at a meeting of the county council executive tomorrow.’
- ‘The town council will now write to the county council asking them to revise the plan.’
- ‘I hope that future consultation exercises from the county council be better executed.’
- ‘As a former leader of a county council I wish to comment on the present debate on council taxes.’
- ‘Also the borough council does some work acting as an agent for the county council.’
- ‘After all, the county council is elected to make tough decisions on behalf of voters.’
- ‘The county council has now introduced a policy which is intended to speed up the process.’
- ‘The county council proposes that vehicles be barred from much of the route.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.