Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a weapon) manufactured by an illegal cottage industry.
- ‘Extra points would also be awarded to teams that thwart rivals with apparatus such as countrymade pistols, knives, etc.’
- ‘According to police sources, the arrested persons were supplying the countrymade revolvers at different parts of the state.’
- ‘‘In every village at least two dozen families possess countrymade revolvers,’ said an officer.’
- ‘The bullets were used in countrymade weapons or by hunters.’
- ‘Alam has also been accused of planting two countrymade pistols and ammunition on the place of occurrence in a bid to show them as recovered from the possession of the trio.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.