One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Time spent teaching in a rural school, formerly required of every state teacher.‘I met my wife in Kaikohe, where she was completing country service’
- ‘This created dissatisfaction among country teachers who saw it as a subterfuge by city teachers to avoid country service.’
- ‘He was a "townie" teacher doing his country service at Duvauchelles' school.’
- ‘She explicitly embraced country service as her professional duty.’
- ‘From the 1940s all teachers were required to undertake country service.’
- ‘A specialist art teacher at a secondary school complained about the requirement that he either serve three years in a school approved for "country service", or forgo salary increments.’
- ‘Teachers were trained for country service while at Training College.’
- ‘The conditions under which teachers do country service will be reviewed in the context of salary claims received from the New Zealand Educational Institute.’
- ‘A townie teacher doing country service pinned up a picture of a sheep and asked the class what it was.’
- ‘The Party wants teachers who do any country service to be fast-tracked for permanency.’
- ‘These communities are often the first posting for graduate teachers sent to 'do their country service.'’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.