One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An import tax imposed on certain goods in order to prevent dumping or counter export subsidies.
- ‘First, Raguet argued that countervailing duties violated the principle of national sovereignty.’
- ‘Customs duty on specified machinery for silk industry has been reduced from 10 per cent to five per cent and these items will be subjected to countervailing duty.’
- ‘The American actor's union officially supports the idea of a countervailing duty on American productions made in Canada to offset the lower costs of filming here.’
- ‘Even lower rates in the US have kept markets for lumber strong, and B.C. producers are making a profit - in spite of countervailing duties and dumping penalties.’
- ‘The U.S. industry is requesting an investigation and recommending that antidumping and countervailing duties ranging from five to 20 percent be assessed on imports of live swine from Canada.’
- ‘There's good news and bad news for Canadian hog exporters: countervailing duties imposed last year have been reduced from an average 14% to an average 10.63%.’
- ‘The excise and countervailing duties continue to remain at 16 per cent.’
- ‘Having experienced the harm of countervailing duties in the past, Canada is now very careful when it comes to designing any new programs.’
- ‘For trade in goods, the principal issues that concern the WTO include border measures such as tariffs and other duties, anti-dumping and countervailing duties, import quotas and bans.’
- ‘At the same time we must appreciate that the countervailing duty has been exempted for such goods not by giving a straight exemption but by giving an exemption on the excise side also.’
- ‘Antidumping duties and countervailing duties are intended to offset the advantage a foreign producer or importer has when imported goods are sold below their home market price or when government subsidies undermine market factors.’
- ‘At the same time, it demands the retention of US farm subsidies, export credit programs, and anti-dumping and countervailing duty laws.’
- ‘It is complying with WTO rules on anti-dumping, subsidy and countervailing duties, and safeguard measures.’
- ‘The industry blames the job losses on the US government's imposition of countervailing duties on softwood lumber imports from B.C. and most other Canadian provinces.’
- ‘We are also campaigning for a 50 per cent reduction in income tax for multiplexes in metros and exemption of countervailing duty for colour negatives and positive film rolls.’
- ‘The U.S. Commerce Department has cut the countervailing duty on Canadian softwood lumber by 10 percentage points, attempting to comply with a NAFTA appeal panel ruling.’
- ‘As for measures that remain actionable, due restraint will be shown in initiating any countervailing duty investigations.’
- ‘Under trade law conventions, that means the rate would go to zero, eliminating the countervailing duty, he said.’
- ‘Anti-dumping actions and countervailing duty measures became favorite weapons against individual suppliers.’
- ‘As a result, U.S. companies hoping to line their nests with the collected antidumping and countervailing duties may have a long wait.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.