One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An import tax imposed on certain goods in order to prevent dumping or counter export subsidies.
- ‘The industry blames the job losses on the US government's imposition of countervailing duties on softwood lumber imports from B.C. and most other Canadian provinces.’
- ‘Having experienced the harm of countervailing duties in the past, Canada is now very careful when it comes to designing any new programs.’
- ‘First, Raguet argued that countervailing duties violated the principle of national sovereignty.’
- ‘There's good news and bad news for Canadian hog exporters: countervailing duties imposed last year have been reduced from an average 14% to an average 10.63%.’
- ‘Antidumping duties and countervailing duties are intended to offset the advantage a foreign producer or importer has when imported goods are sold below their home market price or when government subsidies undermine market factors.’
- ‘The U.S. industry is requesting an investigation and recommending that antidumping and countervailing duties ranging from five to 20 percent be assessed on imports of live swine from Canada.’
- ‘The American actor's union officially supports the idea of a countervailing duty on American productions made in Canada to offset the lower costs of filming here.’
- ‘At the same time, it demands the retention of US farm subsidies, export credit programs, and anti-dumping and countervailing duty laws.’
- ‘It is complying with WTO rules on anti-dumping, subsidy and countervailing duties, and safeguard measures.’
- ‘At the same time we must appreciate that the countervailing duty has been exempted for such goods not by giving a straight exemption but by giving an exemption on the excise side also.’
- ‘For trade in goods, the principal issues that concern the WTO include border measures such as tariffs and other duties, anti-dumping and countervailing duties, import quotas and bans.’
- ‘The excise and countervailing duties continue to remain at 16 per cent.’
- ‘Anti-dumping actions and countervailing duty measures became favorite weapons against individual suppliers.’
- ‘The U.S. Commerce Department has cut the countervailing duty on Canadian softwood lumber by 10 percentage points, attempting to comply with a NAFTA appeal panel ruling.’
- ‘As for measures that remain actionable, due restraint will be shown in initiating any countervailing duty investigations.’
- ‘We are also campaigning for a 50 per cent reduction in income tax for multiplexes in metros and exemption of countervailing duty for colour negatives and positive film rolls.’
- ‘As a result, U.S. companies hoping to line their nests with the collected antidumping and countervailing duties may have a long wait.’
- ‘Even lower rates in the US have kept markets for lumber strong, and B.C. producers are making a profit - in spite of countervailing duties and dumping penalties.’
- ‘Customs duty on specified machinery for silk industry has been reduced from 10 per cent to five per cent and these items will be subjected to countervailing duty.’
- ‘Under trade law conventions, that means the rate would go to zero, eliminating the countervailing duty, he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.