One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flat surface for working on, especially in a kitchen; a worktop.
- ‘Using natural materials like stone, slate, granite or terra cotta for your flooring and countertops will help complete the look.’
- ‘With pale Shaker fitted units and dark countertops, the kitchen has a good-sized breakfast area and also features Chinese slate flooring.’
- ‘Make sure you cook meat well, and wash your hands, cutting boards, countertops, knives, and dishes with warm, soapy water.’
- ‘He nodded, taking a seat at the counter and resting his elbows on the countertop as his chin rested in the palm of his right hand.’
- ‘It's gotten to the point where stainless-steel appliances and granite countertops are standard in luxury buildings.’
- ‘I took it inside and left it on the countertop in the kitchen until my girlfriend arrived.’
- ‘Lola keeps a vat of bacon grease on her countertop that she uses over and over again to do her cooking.’
- ‘They replaced the purple awning with a black one and hung new lighting above the new, lime-green countertops.’
- ‘The germs survive for hours - even days - on hospital rails, bed sheets and countertops.’
- ‘Clean cabinets and countertops with detergent and water.’
- ‘Most prewar kitchens had ceramic tile countertops and backsplashes, and many of the original patterns and colors are now back in production.’
- ‘Granite, another durable material for countertops, is a popular choice, and is becoming more affordable as granite prices drop.’
- ‘While his wife wearily cleaned countertops, Patrick nervously sat erect in the back seat of the limousine besides Tiffany Thomsby.’
- ‘Today's kitchens have high-tech appliances, lush countertops, designer cabinets, and tile or wood floors.’
- ‘Home center stores sell a great quantity of cabinets, countertops, flooring and other kitchen components.’
- ‘Upon returning home, Giovanni can't help but notice the chips in the ashtrays and teapots, the scratches on the countertops.’
- ‘All I really wanted was a dishwasher, but because the countertops weren't deep enough to install one, one thing led to another.’
- ‘This may be because I had such a lovely day painting my kitchen countertop [made of plywood] red.’
- ‘Varieties such as maple and tigerwood are hard and perfect for countertops, while species such as pine and cypress are softer and may not hold up as well.’
- ‘My sister made this most recent batch of Rice Krispie treats that sits on my countertop.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.