One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An additional dye used in a microscopy specimen to produce a contrasting background or to make clearer the distinction between different kinds of tissue.
- ‘The shape of the nucleus was visualized using a DNA counterstain in all experiments.’
- ‘No counterstain was used on the sections, but routine coverslips were applied.’
- ‘Immunoreactivity was visualized using diaminobenzidine as the chromogen, with Harris modified hematoxylin as the counterstain.’
- ‘Dapi was used as the chromosome counterstain for fluorescent specimens.’
- ‘Harris hematoxylin was the counterstain for the remainder of the antibody reactions.’
Treat (a specimen) with a counterstain.
- ‘Slides were counterstained with hematoxylin, dehydrated, and mounted with glass coverslips.’
- ‘Background material in the specimen was counterstained dull yellow to red.’
- ‘After washing in tap water, specimens were briefly counterstained.’
- ‘The chromosomes were counterstained with propidium iodide.’
- ‘The chromosomes are counterstained with DAPI (light blue).’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.