One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Action intended to prevent an increase or spread in the possession of nuclear weapons.
- ‘Robert Smith, special assistant to the president and senior director for proliferation strategy, counterproliferation, and homeland defense, reviewed the changes in the political-military landscape.’
- ‘We should encourage China to greater participation in counterproliferation and other global security regimes.’
- ‘I mean, we've spent a lot of time today talking about counterterrorism or counterproliferation.’
- ‘In reaction, we have many leading-edge counterproliferation efforts (we need to invent the word conliferation).’
- ‘We must develop appropriate countermeasures, including a range of pre-emptive counterproliferation activities and forces.’
- ‘The indictment states that you knew she worked in the C.I.A.'s counterproliferation division.’
- ‘This would fulfil the prophecies of Pentagon contingency planners who then can argue for yet more "counterproliferation" weapons, whether conventional or nuclear.’
- ‘Many methods of coping with the possession of weapon of mass destruction are getting attention: warning systems, counterproliferation, and deterrence strategies.’
- ‘Questions of terminology, international law, counterproliferation, multilateralism, military effectiveness, and ethical skepticism frame the developing dialogue.’
- ‘Moreover, our analysts were supporting arms control and analyzing arms transfers long before the term "counterproliferation" came into vogue.’
- ‘Strengthening nuclear counterproliferation measures is important, but the impact of a British nuclear renunciation would be minimal.’
- ‘Counterproliferation operations will need to focus on ballistic and cruise missiles and on conventional weapons of mass destruction.’
- ‘In the chapter by James J. Wirtz of the Naval Postgraduate School, the link is made between counterterror and counterproliferation of weapons of mass destruction.’
- ‘Professor Jason Smith, offering one perspective, maintains that preventive action should be part of a broader strategy of counterproliferation.’
- ‘The problem with counterproliferation is that it stimulates the threats it seeks to deter, as others seek weapons of mass destruction to deter us.’
- ‘Counterproliferation includes a spectrum of military capabilities, from missile defense to disarming attacks.’
- ‘Some of us believe strong nonproliferation policies are more important than counterproliferation ones.’
- ‘The main thrust of his speech was intelligence reform, particularly in the areas of counterterrorism and counterproliferation.’
- ‘The differences between chemical and biological weapons have profound implications for the United States nonproliferation, counterproliferation, and defensive strategies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.