One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plot intended to thwart another plot.‘the shadowy plots and counterplots of spring 1987’
- ‘I had a scheme for collecting that ransom without danger of being caught by counterplots that ought to commend itself to professional kidnappers.’
- ‘We get no sense of the Western society in which they live, apart from a ham-fistedly jolly counterplot about Ziad's friend running a pizza restaurant.’
- ‘But unlike most of the conspiracies, plots and counterplots in the Lockerbie saga, this one has been solved in days, rather than years.’
- ‘Some people, particularly ambitious ones, see plots and counterplots where none exists.’
- ‘Plot, counterplot, and civil war between Stilicho, Honorius, the Western senate and the Goths under Alaric did much to ensure in the long term the collapse of Roman rule throughout the West.’
- ‘All of these brothers, all of these princes, it just sounds like it would be inevitably a nest of plots and counterplots, ambitions and current.’
- ‘Guy never allows the labyrinth of plots and counterplots to muddle his story.’
- ‘A dark night has fallen over Collinwood, a night that will bring with it both the plots and counterplots of good versus evil, as well as a deepening mystery of other worlds intersecting with our own.’
- ‘Since the film rarely stops to take stock of its overcomplicated story (complete with political counterplots and a largely unexplored backstory), things can get a little confusing at times.’
- ‘The rest is plot / counterplot, as the rival Sforzas plot to seduce Lucrezia, and political marriages ensue.’
- ‘The carefully controlled plan, the coup d'état they are preparing for, will collapse in a whirlwind of treachery and counterplots, and eventually they will be forced to abandon it.’
- ‘Romeo and Juliette, similarly, is a story of emotions out of control, and of plots and counterplots tripping over one another.’
Devise a counterplot.
- ‘In a final twist Thynn is implicated as counterplotting against Monmouth to join forces with the Catholic cause.’
- ‘Shoot To Kill - A tale of plotting and counterplotting commences after the new district attorney and an escaped gangster are killed in a car crash!’
- ‘Thus the plotting and counterplotting gets morally foggier when public relations gets into the government and industry arena.’
- ‘In days of old, England has had Statesmen, such as Pitt and Castlereagh, who were true to their country and easily counterplotted and put down the Jesuit conspiracies in Ireland.’
- ‘Sam is further wedged between the addictive scheming of Felix's bride-to-be Marjorie, and the vengeful counterplotting of his long-jilted mother Gloria.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.