One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plot intended to thwart another plot.‘the shadowy plots and counterplots of spring 1987’
- ‘The carefully controlled plan, the coup d'état they are preparing for, will collapse in a whirlwind of treachery and counterplots, and eventually they will be forced to abandon it.’
- ‘Plot, counterplot, and civil war between Stilicho, Honorius, the Western senate and the Goths under Alaric did much to ensure in the long term the collapse of Roman rule throughout the West.’
- ‘Some people, particularly ambitious ones, see plots and counterplots where none exists.’
- ‘I had a scheme for collecting that ransom without danger of being caught by counterplots that ought to commend itself to professional kidnappers.’
- ‘All of these brothers, all of these princes, it just sounds like it would be inevitably a nest of plots and counterplots, ambitions and current.’
- ‘Romeo and Juliette, similarly, is a story of emotions out of control, and of plots and counterplots tripping over one another.’
- ‘A dark night has fallen over Collinwood, a night that will bring with it both the plots and counterplots of good versus evil, as well as a deepening mystery of other worlds intersecting with our own.’
- ‘Guy never allows the labyrinth of plots and counterplots to muddle his story.’
- ‘The rest is plot / counterplot, as the rival Sforzas plot to seduce Lucrezia, and political marriages ensue.’
- ‘But unlike most of the conspiracies, plots and counterplots in the Lockerbie saga, this one has been solved in days, rather than years.’
- ‘Since the film rarely stops to take stock of its overcomplicated story (complete with political counterplots and a largely unexplored backstory), things can get a little confusing at times.’
- ‘We get no sense of the Western society in which they live, apart from a ham-fistedly jolly counterplot about Ziad's friend running a pizza restaurant.’
Devise a counterplot.
- ‘In days of old, England has had Statesmen, such as Pitt and Castlereagh, who were true to their country and easily counterplotted and put down the Jesuit conspiracies in Ireland.’
- ‘Shoot To Kill - A tale of plotting and counterplotting commences after the new district attorney and an escaped gangster are killed in a car crash!’
- ‘Sam is further wedged between the addictive scheming of Felix's bride-to-be Marjorie, and the vengeful counterplotting of his long-jilted mother Gloria.’
- ‘Thus the plotting and counterplotting gets morally foggier when public relations gets into the government and industry arena.’
- ‘In a final twist Thynn is implicated as counterplotting against Monmouth to join forces with the Catholic cause.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.