Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plot intended to thwart another plot.‘the shadowy plots and counterplots of spring 1987’
- ‘The carefully controlled plan, the coup d'état they are preparing for, will collapse in a whirlwind of treachery and counterplots, and eventually they will be forced to abandon it.’
- ‘We get no sense of the Western society in which they live, apart from a ham-fistedly jolly counterplot about Ziad's friend running a pizza restaurant.’
- ‘The rest is plot / counterplot, as the rival Sforzas plot to seduce Lucrezia, and political marriages ensue.’
- ‘Plot, counterplot, and civil war between Stilicho, Honorius, the Western senate and the Goths under Alaric did much to ensure in the long term the collapse of Roman rule throughout the West.’
- ‘All of these brothers, all of these princes, it just sounds like it would be inevitably a nest of plots and counterplots, ambitions and current.’
- ‘A dark night has fallen over Collinwood, a night that will bring with it both the plots and counterplots of good versus evil, as well as a deepening mystery of other worlds intersecting with our own.’
- ‘But unlike most of the conspiracies, plots and counterplots in the Lockerbie saga, this one has been solved in days, rather than years.’
- ‘Guy never allows the labyrinth of plots and counterplots to muddle his story.’
- ‘Some people, particularly ambitious ones, see plots and counterplots where none exists.’
- ‘Since the film rarely stops to take stock of its overcomplicated story (complete with political counterplots and a largely unexplored backstory), things can get a little confusing at times.’
- ‘I had a scheme for collecting that ransom without danger of being caught by counterplots that ought to commend itself to professional kidnappers.’
- ‘Romeo and Juliette, similarly, is a story of emotions out of control, and of plots and counterplots tripping over one another.’
Devise a counterplot.
- ‘In a final twist Thynn is implicated as counterplotting against Monmouth to join forces with the Catholic cause.’
- ‘Thus the plotting and counterplotting gets morally foggier when public relations gets into the government and industry arena.’
- ‘Shoot To Kill - A tale of plotting and counterplotting commences after the new district attorney and an escaped gangster are killed in a car crash!’
- ‘Sam is further wedged between the addictive scheming of Felix's bride-to-be Marjorie, and the vengeful counterplotting of his long-jilted mother Gloria.’
- ‘In days of old, England has had Statesmen, such as Pitt and Castlereagh, who were true to their country and easily counterplotted and put down the Jesuit conspiracies in Ireland.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.