One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Studies done in the 1940s showed that the use of noxious stimuli or counterirritation could produce significant analgesic effects.’
- ‘Sterile-water injection causes a burning sensation that is much more painful than saline injection and is thought to relieve labor pain by counterirritation.’
- ‘From this point of view we can easily explain the phenomenon of counterirritation, which is partly responsible for the analgesic effect of massage therapy.’
- ‘Rush argued for curing disease with its equivalent in the manner of homeopathy, though his concept of counterirritation was more violent.’
- ‘This principle of counterirritation has been recognized for hundreds of years, and it still works.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.