Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Something such as heat or an ointment that is used to produce surface irritation of the skin, thereby counteracting underlying pain or discomfort.
- ‘It is one of the most commonly used counterirritants for temporary relief of pain.’
- ‘Most other pain creams contain counterirritants which bring about a mild to extreme burning sensation which distracts the mind from the pain temporarily.’
- ‘It acts as a counterirritant that stimulates nerve endings, helping to reduce the number of pain messages that reach the brain.’
- ‘Distraction could be provided by rubbing the patient with counterirritants such as stinging nettles.’
- ‘Most counterirritants use heat or cold to ‘distract’ the brain from recognizing the original pain source.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.