One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flow moving in the opposite direction to another.as modifier ‘a counterflow airstream that works to keep dust from entering the cooling system’
- ‘Other suggestions have included a car ferry service on the Liffey, carpooling initiatives and a traffic 'counterflow' system, all of which have been successful in the US.’
- ‘The counterflow of native fishes to other regions was much smaller; only two Pacific slope species, the Chinook salmon and the rainbow trout, were transported out of their native range before 1900.’
- ‘The NIST report also calls for better system designs that facilitate safe and rapid egress of occupants while accommodating the counterflow of emergency personnel.’
- ‘Wright said he doesn't buy that - pointing to the Massey Tunnel where northbound and southbound traffic is controlled by counterflow signals with few accidents.’
- ‘The counterflow of remittances and information from the United States to Ireland played a vital role in the lives of the Irish at home and abroad.’
- ‘The Lions Gate is a 3 lane bridge, with the centre lane being a counterflow lane.’
- ‘The counterflow swimming pool and hydro-spa are additional attractions at the centre.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.