One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flow moving in the opposite direction to another.as modifier ‘a counterflow airstream that works to keep dust from entering the cooling system’
- ‘Other suggestions have included a car ferry service on the Liffey, carpooling initiatives and a traffic 'counterflow' system, all of which have been successful in the US.’
- ‘The counterflow swimming pool and hydro-spa are additional attractions at the centre.’
- ‘The NIST report also calls for better system designs that facilitate safe and rapid egress of occupants while accommodating the counterflow of emergency personnel.’
- ‘The counterflow of native fishes to other regions was much smaller; only two Pacific slope species, the Chinook salmon and the rainbow trout, were transported out of their native range before 1900.’
- ‘The Lions Gate is a 3 lane bridge, with the centre lane being a counterflow lane.’
- ‘The counterflow of remittances and information from the United States to Ireland played a vital role in the lives of the Irish at home and abroad.’
- ‘Wright said he doesn't buy that - pointing to the Massey Tunnel where northbound and southbound traffic is controlled by counterflow signals with few accidents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.