Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A public demonstration organized in order to express opposition to the aims of another demonstration:‘an effort by right-wing elements to organize a counterdemonstration failed’
- ‘News reports indicate student activists had geared up for a series of counterdemonstrations.’
- ‘They were met with a host of counterdemonstrations and were forced to abandon their marches in a number of cities.’
- ‘They staged no counter-demonstrations that day in Miami.’
- ‘The Washington Post in particular went out of the way to cover their counterdemonstrations without revealing the numbers involved in those demonstrations.’
- ‘Just as they did during the Democratic National Convention, police officers carried out counter-demonstrations of their own.’
- ‘So far, these demonstrations and counterdemonstrations have been remarkable in their peacefulness and in the frankness of their political aims.’
- ‘The G8 summit is always a focus of huge counter-demonstrations by angry workers and young people and this July will be no different.’
- ‘I should point out that representatives of the other side, groups like the Second Amendment Sisters, are holding counterdemonstrations here.’
- ‘He went on, however, to contrast it to "promilitary" counterdemonstrations held around the country.’
- ‘Smash is an organizer of counter-demonstrations.’
- ‘There were counterdemonstrations by feminists and human rights supporters, not only in Bangladesh but all over the world.’
- ‘Two counter-demonstrations are held—one, a 4,000-strong rally across town, and a second smaller one organized to directly confront the racists.’
- ‘Abramoff organized counterdemonstrations, where students sang "God Bless America."’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.