One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An agent or force used to reduce or neutralize something else.
antitoxin, antiserumView synonyms
- ‘The purpose of therapeutics was to apply counteragents, usually chemical ones, which would act quickly against the attacker.’
- ‘By recombining insect DNA Tyler creates a biological counteragent, a new species to be our six-legged ally in wiping out the roach population.’
- ‘Even the best medicine, if too diluted, may readily be overwhelmed by stronger counteragents.’
- ‘Ironically, the best counteragents against microbes are often other microbes that produce very potent antibiotics.’
- ‘In Surrey and surrounding regions, a commonly used counteragent to the gypsies is celery root mixed with the blood of poultry, particularly chickens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.