One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An agent or force used to reduce or neutralize something else.
antitoxin, antiserumView synonyms
- ‘In Surrey and surrounding regions, a commonly used counteragent to the gypsies is celery root mixed with the blood of poultry, particularly chickens.’
- ‘Even the best medicine, if too diluted, may readily be overwhelmed by stronger counteragents.’
- ‘The purpose of therapeutics was to apply counteragents, usually chemical ones, which would act quickly against the attacker.’
- ‘Ironically, the best counteragents against microbes are often other microbes that produce very potent antibiotics.’
- ‘By recombining insect DNA Tyler creates a biological counteragent, a new species to be our six-legged ally in wiping out the roach population.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.