One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An offer made in response to another.
- ‘Of course, the seller is going to want more, but think about the counter-offer a short while, then offer him less than he wants.’
- ‘His case, if I correctly understand it, is that, having returned the mortgage application with those parts struck out, if the mortgage was then granted it would have been granted on the basis of his counter-offer.’
- ‘In order to prevent you from leaving, an employer may make you a counter-offer.’
- ‘‘It could be that the female managers were more likely than the male managers to receive a matching counter-offer and so decided to stay,’ said Dr. Brett.’
- ‘He tinkered with offers and counter-offers, and not just with the Red Sox and the Yankees.’
- ‘There has been talk of a counter-offer emerging, but analysts believe a rival bid is unlikely.’
- ‘Some fund managers agreed to settle; some refused; some made counter-offers and some threatened legal action, claiming the FSA improperly revealed their identities.’
- ‘Prospective buyers and sellers also base their offers and counter-offers at least in part by comparison with other market transactions.’
- ‘The counter-offers to teams are getting richer, too.’
- ‘The ‘informal talks’ between our union and the employers have been about an offer and a counter-offer which are both unacceptable.’
- ‘The game allows for uneven trades, trades of draft picks, and counter-offers by each squad.’
- ‘He denied reports that he had agreed a lucrative counter-offer to play in Saudi Arabia, insisting he was looking forward to playing for Wanderers in the Premiership.’
- ‘Perhaps it's a symptom of this election's confusion - the offers and counter-offers - that the number of undecided voters is huge.’
- ‘Union members overwhelmingly rejected the company's counter-offer, including separate contracts for the two sites and 7 percent pay rise over 20 months, at a union meeting on July 20.’
- ‘Web publishers can also review advertisers' campaigns to present counter-offers as well as open up negotiations on issues such as compensation and timing.’
- ‘In which case I make another counter-offer, which is that Mr Havers will get something from me by five o'clock this evening.’
- ‘Alexander ultimately raised her counter-offer from 12m to 15m, proffering an additional 3m to fund training.’
- ‘The Defendants did not accept the offer of the Plaintiff nor did the Defendants make a counter-offer.’
- ‘He made a counter-offer on the spot, making me Special Correspondent with a 120 per cent rise in salary!’
- ‘In other news, my counter-offer was accepted, so now I'm on my way to owning a condo in August.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.