One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shop assistant.
seller, salesperson, salesman, saleswoman, dealer, trader, tradesman, retailer, shopkeeper, shopman, shop girl, shop boy, sales assistant, assistant, wholesaler, merchant, trafficker, purveyor, supplier, stockist, marketer, marketeer, sales representative, door-to-door salesman, travelling salesman, commercial travellerView synonyms
- ‘The war will be won by tired men who could never again pass an insurance test, a mob of broken counter-jumpers, ragged ex-plumbers and quite unheroic persons.’
- ‘She stands out from her fellow counter-jumpers (sympathetically clichéd proletarians) in brightness of appearance and manner.’
- ‘There were about ten of the young counter-jumpers that formed a society to marry rich girls.’
- ‘There's usually a line out the door, but once inside you're greeted warmly by one of Aroma's attractive counter-jumpers over the brightly burnished copper counter.’
- ‘For me, the Australian difference is that I can bypass the counter-jumpers by doing most things now with the click of a web-page button, and savage bank fees for ‘personal attention’ encourage me to keep going that way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.