One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shop assistant.
seller, salesperson, salesman, saleswoman, dealer, trader, tradesman, retailer, shopkeeper, shopman, shop girl, shop boy, sales assistant, assistant, wholesaler, merchant, trafficker, purveyor, supplier, stockist, marketer, marketeer, sales representative, door-to-door salesman, travelling salesman, commercial travellerView synonyms
- ‘For me, the Australian difference is that I can bypass the counter-jumpers by doing most things now with the click of a web-page button, and savage bank fees for ‘personal attention’ encourage me to keep going that way.’
- ‘The war will be won by tired men who could never again pass an insurance test, a mob of broken counter-jumpers, ragged ex-plumbers and quite unheroic persons.’
- ‘There were about ten of the young counter-jumpers that formed a society to marry rich girls.’
- ‘There's usually a line out the door, but once inside you're greeted warmly by one of Aroma's attractive counter-jumpers over the brightly burnished copper counter.’
- ‘She stands out from her fellow counter-jumpers (sympathetically clichéd proletarians) in brightness of appearance and manner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.