Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A method of deciding the winner of a tied game or competition by awarding it to the contestant with the better score in the later part.‘David Montefiore beat clubmate Grant Jackson for second place on countback’
- ‘After drawing level on points with a desperate last flurry in the closing seconds of the final round, Lee was beaten on a countback of the punches thrown.’
- ‘The A Grade winner was, Peter Smith, on a countback from Graham Fenton.’
- ‘Winner on a countback on 36 points was Richard Devon, ahead of Terry Tucker in second.’
- ‘Tony Smith was third after a countback after sharing 37 points with Tom Sefton, Mick Addinall and Andrew Cooper.’
- ‘Teare finished ahead of Steve Palat on a countback after Palat recorded rounds of 79 and 81.’
- ‘She did that in Madrid to tie with Bergqvist at 2.02 and win the World Cup gold on a countback.’
- ‘The C grade winner was Peter Swan beating Cyril Wary also on a countback.’
- ‘The A Grade winner was Harry Mackney on a countback from Dave Beaumont, both in the picture for the final round.’
- ‘The A Grade winner, Gordon Stovold, won on a countback, from Don Beck.’
- ‘Graham Holmes continued a tour de force of Pattaya Golf with yet another Flight victory, this a countback over Steve Weller.’
- ‘The club's September medal competition was a close run thing with nine players shooting a nett 67, but after countbacks the honour went to Martyn Robinson.’
- ‘The winner was Tom Durbidge on a countback from Allan Thompson.’
- ‘Darwen had 38, but so had Swale AC so a section countback was ordered.’
- ‘At the end they drew 42-42 and a countback of all the judges scores had to be done.’
- ‘England's Ian Peel and Chris Dean took silver in the same event after losing out to Australia on a countback.’
- ‘The competitions were very tight last Saturday and Thursday with countbacks the order of the day, and you had to have 50 pts to win the major trophies.’
- ‘A very closely contested competition resulted in countbacks having to be employed to decide the first three places.’
- ‘This month's event was no exception and in the tightest of finishes, Ber Shelly emerged as the victor on a countback.’
- ‘Su, who was a model for Christian Dior when she met her husband, actually tied with another woman in the regional final but won the countback on the last nine holes.’
- ‘He still had to wait out a countback with Jim Munns, the B Flight winner before he knew he had copped the big prize of the day.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.