One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be careful about how much one spends.‘George and Betty have had to watch the pennies since he took early retirement’‘retirees need to pinch pennies’
save, save money, cut expenditure, cut costsView synonyms
- ‘After counting the pennies, can you afford to have children?’
- ‘They watch the pennies as you and I would our own money.’
- ‘They favor incremental improvements over time and watch the pennies.’
- ‘So what was it like to finally be able to stop counting the pennies?’
- ‘That is because people are watching the pennies and have either found a cheaper product, or decided that they simply cannot afford to take it.’
- ‘If they're to manage their finances properly while they're at university, they will need to know how to count the pennies.’
- ‘He'll be off earning vast piles of undeserved cash on the lecture circuit and drawing his bloated pension any day now and we'll be left sweeping up and counting the pennies.’
- ‘As my grandmother says, the rich stay that way by watching the pennies.’
- ‘If you can get some one else to drive, this is a course worth playing, especially if you are watching the pennies.’
- ‘If you're counting your pennies, a great date doesn't have to break the bank.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.