One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tax levied on households by local authorities in Britain, based on the estimated value of a property and the number of people living in it.
- ‘My pension contribution was exactly the same as my tax and council tax is today.’
- ‘Anybody who thinks this is good value for our council tax must be from another planet.’
- ‘Do you think the current method using property values to calculate council tax is fair?’
- ‘I contacted the borough council and was told no council tax was due for this period.’
- ‘An idea has been put forward for council tax to be directly linked to how much people earn.’
- ‘At the same time, the party is also proposing to replace council tax with a local income tax.’
- ‘All we are asking for is a decent wage to cover the cost of living as council tax keeps rising.’
- ‘You would both be jointly liable for council tax during any period you both lived in the house.’
- ‘Claiming income support also made her eligible for council tax and housing benefit.’
- ‘Many of them will face the terrible prospect of not having the extra money to pay their council tax.’
- ‘If you are on a low income you may be able to claim a rebate on your rent and council tax.’
- ‘Subject to a few defined exceptions, council tax is a local tax levied on every dwelling.’
- ‘If you can afford to have a second home then you can afford to pay the full council tax on the property.’
- ‘They would get rid of council tax altogether and replace it with a local income tax.’
- ‘The party wants to scrap council tax and replace it with a progressive system of local income tax.’
- ‘Also enshrined in the plan was the proposal to replace the council tax with a local income tax.’
- ‘The council has been exploring all areas to keep its council tax down and be more efficient.’
- ‘The union has asked for the increase to counter the rise in council tax and house prices in the city.’
- ‘The fact that he is not liable to pay council tax on that other property is irrelevant.’
- ‘For years the parish council rejected the idea of increasing council tax by a local precept.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.