One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tax levied on households by local authorities in Britain, based on the estimated value of a property and the number of people living in it.
- ‘If you can afford to have a second home then you can afford to pay the full council tax on the property.’
- ‘If you are on a low income you may be able to claim a rebate on your rent and council tax.’
- ‘I contacted the borough council and was told no council tax was due for this period.’
- ‘An idea has been put forward for council tax to be directly linked to how much people earn.’
- ‘Do you think the current method using property values to calculate council tax is fair?’
- ‘My pension contribution was exactly the same as my tax and council tax is today.’
- ‘All we are asking for is a decent wage to cover the cost of living as council tax keeps rising.’
- ‘You would both be jointly liable for council tax during any period you both lived in the house.’
- ‘At the same time, the party is also proposing to replace council tax with a local income tax.’
- ‘For years the parish council rejected the idea of increasing council tax by a local precept.’
- ‘The council has been exploring all areas to keep its council tax down and be more efficient.’
- ‘The fact that he is not liable to pay council tax on that other property is irrelevant.’
- ‘Also enshrined in the plan was the proposal to replace the council tax with a local income tax.’
- ‘Anybody who thinks this is good value for our council tax must be from another planet.’
- ‘Claiming income support also made her eligible for council tax and housing benefit.’
- ‘Many of them will face the terrible prospect of not having the extra money to pay their council tax.’
- ‘The party wants to scrap council tax and replace it with a progressive system of local income tax.’
- ‘Subject to a few defined exceptions, council tax is a local tax levied on every dwelling.’
- ‘They would get rid of council tax altogether and replace it with a local income tax.’
- ‘The union has asked for the increase to counter the rise in council tax and house prices in the city.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.