One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of houses built and rented out to tenants by a local council.
- ‘He grew up on a council estate where his mother would tell him stories of family connections with hunting stretching back generations.’
- ‘He's from a Liverpool council estate, like lots of footballers.’
- ‘These things never seemed to happen on our council estate.’
- ‘One is a housewife on a council estate in Ayrshire while the other lives in a leafy suburb in the English midlands.’
- ‘People on a former council estate are taking over responsibility for their area after signing a landmark agreement.’
- ‘His father was comfortable rather than wealthy, proud of owning his own house on the border of a council estate.’
- ‘He said the experience was ‘incredible and far removed from my days growing up on a council estate in Salford’.’
- ‘I was transfixed by the thought of the young vandals from the neighbouring council estate breaking in at night.’
- ‘Growing up in a council estate in Dundee, his first passion was music.’
- ‘‘It's quite a step for a boy who grew up on a council estate in Seacroft,’ he said.’
- ‘What people don't know is it was a 1970s council estate.’
- ‘I wasn't the only one on my council estate with talent, but I had the chance to do something positive.’
- ‘Brought up in a council estate by parents who couldn't afford to pay for lessons, he worked on a local farm in return for the chance to ride their ponies.’
- ‘Later they moved a mile away to the Eastmoor council estate.’
- ‘Are they a reminder of the council estate where I grew up, where many families owned such decorative statuettes?’
- ‘The canal gentrifies all that it touches, even the harshest council estate, but you sense that local architects haven't repaid the compliment.’
- ‘I come from a simple background on a council estate in Birmingham and went to a comprehensive school.’
- ‘Having grown up on a council estate, he is seen by many as the ideal candidate, with a broad appeal.’
- ‘The clouds break as I step onto a nearby council estate.’
- ‘My favourite was the council estate that was refurbished from top to bottom - and then demolished.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.