One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Extreme or irrational fear of clowns.‘it has emerged that the multi-millionaire entrepreneur suffers from coulrophobia’
- ‘And if he has coulrophobia are they going to have him interrogated by a bunch of guys in clown suits?’
- ‘Like all fears and phobias, coulrophobia is created by the unconscious mind as a protective mechanism.’
- ‘In discussions of causes of coulrophobia, sufferers seem to agree that the most fear-inducing aspect of clowns is the heavy makeup, often accompanied by the bulbous nose and weird color of hair, that conceals the wearer's identity.’
- ‘Despite its name, there's nothing ‘cool’ about coulrophobia, or ‘fear of clowns’ for the psychiatric layperson.’
- ‘I'm writing an article on coulrophobia and scary clowns for my Feature Writing class at university.’
1980s: from Greek kōlobatheron ‘stilt’ + -phobia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.