Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thin fruit or vegetable puree, used as a sauce.‘spoon a little more cranberry coulis over the oranges’
relish, dressing, condiment, ketchup, flavouringView synonyms
- ‘The mousse was the better of the two, primarily because the richness of the chocolate was nicely offset by the coulis.’
- ‘This arrived on a plate with the coulis arranged in geometric patterns, outlined by thin chocolate borders.’
- ‘Just before serving, spoon the strawberry coulis into the centre of the shortbreads, and arrange wild strawberries around the side.’
- ‘Serve with icing sugar, raspberries and coulis.’
- ‘The plate was inexplicably drizzled with a chocolate coulis.’
- ‘Pureed and thinned with a little stock syrup, it makes a coulis to accompany baked lemon cheesecake or a passionfruit mousse.’
- ‘As an extra, you could pile in a bundle of mint, blitz it with whatever fruit you are making the coulis out of, then pass it through a sieve.’
- ‘Spoon a portion of the orange passion fruit coulis around the cheesecake.’
- ‘These little puff pastries are served on a white napkin with bowls of chocolate sauce and raspberry coulis for dipping.’
- ‘And a devilish mustard-oil-red-pepper coulis allows seared scallops to start velvety, then bite back.’
- ‘For the berry coulis: Puree the fruit with the sorbet syrup, strain and chill.’
- ‘Serve the panna cotta in their ramekins topped with a layer of coulis, or unmold them carefully onto plates and drizzle with the coulis.’
- ‘Place a stuffed piquillo pepper at one end of the coulis and a mound of Parmesan powder at the opposite end.’
- ‘I chose the chicken breast with smoked chipotle peppers and a mango coulis.’
- ‘You'll find plenty of satisfying dishes here, such as marinated ahi tuna coated in black and white sesame seeds with a mango-cucumber coulis.’
- ‘Spoon some muscatel sauce and passion fruit coulis around the dish and garnish with sweet potatoes and parsley.’
- ‘Place crab in a pool of lobster sauce and drizzle with mango coulis and lobster oil.’
- ‘I simply stuck a spring of mint into a mixture of lightly crushed kiwi flesh and sugar, just to add a hint of mint to the coulis.’
- ‘For the corn coulis, in a medium sauté pan, melt two ounces of butter over medium heat until foaming.’
- ‘The coulis (the left - over blackberry and whisky) was sold to hotels, which produced from it their own sauces.’
French, from couler to flow.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.